Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Easy Summertime Mexican Soup


I know, I know.  After reading the title of this page you are probably thinking, "soup? In the summertime?  Is she crazy?"  Maybe.  I eat soup year round regardless of whether it is 30 degrees or 100 degrees outside.  This soup is one of my favorites because it is EASY and always yummy!!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Easy Mexican Soup

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 medium zucchini, sliced
6 cups chicken broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes (Mexican flavor)
1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5 oz) can corn
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. pepper
Tortilla chips
Shredded Monterery Jack cheese
*2 chicken breasts

Directions:
Cook onion, olive oil, and garlic in large soup pot over medium heat until onions are clear.  Add zucchini and the rest of ingredients except chips and cheese.  Bring soup to boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes until zucchini are tender.  Spoon soup into bowl and add chips and cheese to your liking.

Yield: About 10-12 servings

*If you want to add chicken to this recipe, go for it.  I would recommend boiling the chicken breasts for about 30 minutes in a separate pot of water, cube the chicken, and add it when you add the zucchini and other ingredients.

Note: Everyone in my family likes to assemble their soup differently.  I like just cheese on top.  Some put the chips on the bottom, soup on top of chips, then cheese on the very top.  It is all up to you!!





No comments:

Post a Comment