Sunday, September 23, 2012

MMM MMMM Muffins!

It is fall!!  For lots of people that means time to bake and cook until our kitchens look like the refrigerator and pantry exploded all over.  Today was one such day for me and I just wanted something pumpkin-y!!  I found an awesome muffin recipe here but I felt like it needed a few extra things.  So here is the recipe I came up with.  I'll admit some recipes with almond flour can taste a bit grainy and weird, but people, this recipe is amazing.  I had one...and then I had another...just to make sure it was blog-worthy of course! : )  Just to give you an idea nutrition wise...a pumpkin muffin at Panera has 590 calories and 89 g net carbs.  My little guy is 195 calories with a net carb count of a little under 10 g carbs.  This also got the husband's stamp of approval with the request that these muffins be a fall tradition.  Then he said, "scratch that.  I think this recipe needs to be a year-round tradition."  I would call that a success!
Protein Pumpkin Spice Muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups almond flour
2 scoops NNW Healthy 100% Whey- Cinnamon Bun Flavor (you can substitute vanilla protein powder if you'd like)
2 Tbsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
4 eggs
1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
5 Tbsp. unsalted butter (softened)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all dry ingredients together including the walnuts.  In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients until well blended.  Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little bit at a time.  Use muffin liners in your muffin pan and spray each liner with nonstick spray.  Fill each liner 3/4 to full of batter.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Yield: 18 muffins



No comments:

Post a Comment